Junior Lifeguarding is designed for youths 11 years of age, or those who have completed the 5th grade through 14 years of age.
This course will teach water safety and introduce participants to the duties and responsibilities of a lifeguard; however, this course will not certify anyone to be a lifeguard. It will build a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills in preparation for the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course.
June 25th-28th from 9AM-4PM
July 16th-19th from 9AM-4PM
$175 for YMCA Family Members
$200 for Community Members
Before entering Junior Lifeguarding, participants must demonstrate the following skills:
■ Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side.
■ Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
■ Complete the water competency sequence without stopping:
1. Step into water from the side and totally submerge.
2. Maintain position for one minute by treading water or floating (or a combination of the two).
3. Rotate one full turn and orient to the exit.
4. Level off and swim on the front or back 25 yards.
5. Exit without using a ladder or steps.
Questions? Contact us!